Monday, June 15, 2009

Hazel Ruth

Hazel Ruth has arrived. She was born June 5th, 2009 at 6:39 am. She is perfect. She didn't want to join the world all on her own; therefore, I was scheduled for an induction of labor on June 3rd. However, there was not a labor room available that evening. Trevor and I were to call the next morning early (5 am) to see if there was a room available to start the induction. How lucky we were because the hospital was full again shortly after we arrived at 8 am. Needless to say, we didn't sleep to well that night in anticipation of possibly going to the hospital the next morning. The induction took some time. I had three doses of Cytotec (to soften and dilate the cervix) as I was only dilated to a one. Those doses did not work! So they inserted a foley bulb and filled it with water in the hopes of mechanically dilating my cervix. They did this at about 8:30 pm. Our day was filled with playing card games, walking, resting (as much as one can in a hospital), and watching TV. From 8:30pm to about 11pm, I had dilated to a 5. During that time, the contractions were getting closer together and more painful. My bag of water broke as well. Trevor was a so supportive during this time as well, because I also started throwing up during that time. I'm sure it was not a pretty sight. Trevor and I decided it was time for a epidural about midnight. From 12:30 am to 4:30 am, I was much more comfortable, the vomiting stopped, I was able to relax, Trevor was able to sleep for a couple of hours, and I was dilated to a 10 and complete by 4:30am. Then the real deal started: the pushing!!! I pushed for two hours and then little Hazel Ruth was born!!!! It was the most exciting thing that has ever happened to us!! It was so neat and it's such a miracle. All babies are miracles! They teach us so much. She weighed 7 pounds 9 ounces and was 20 1/8 inch long. So she was exactly 10 days overdue. She took her sweet time, but that is ok. Luckily, I felt fine while waiting for her! She has done fabulous and has met so many new friends already!!! I will post some much awaited pictures in the next post!!

No comments: